Discipleship Training School (DTS) aims to prepare messengers of the Gospel, helping students to cultivate a living relationship with God.
It is an intense 6 month Christian discipleship training course.
Our schools are limited in size to enable us to have personal discipleship relationships with our students.
- Deepening your personal, daily walk with Jesus
- Learning to hear God's voice and walk in obedience to His direction
- Identifying your unique, individual gifts and callings in God
- Personal character development
- Establishing Biblical relationships (servant leadership, accountability, etc.)
- Evangelism: mobilizing students to reach current and future generations
- Cross-cultural exposure and global awareness
- Students must be at least 18 years of age and possess at least a high school (or other equivalent) completion certificate.
- The DTS has limited space therefore: Applicants must complete all forms before they will be considered for acceptance. The acceptance process is "first come, first served" and a partial application does not secure a space.
- Students must be proficient in the English language. (The purpose of this school is not to learn English, and this school will not benefit you if you are unable to comprehend lectures and reading material.) Instead you will be referred to a ESL (English as a second language) course offered in YWAM at other locations.
- Students must be serious about this school and be prepared for a rigorous schedule for intense discipleship purposes.
Am I called to do a Discipleship Training School? Should I go to Boston? Where is the best fit for me? How do I get involved?
In everyone's life there are times of new direction. These times can be the most exciting, and the most concerning. You want to take a step, and you want to make sure you take it in the right place, with the right people, at the right time!
So, the first step is to listen to the Lord. Give yourself some extra time to seek Him, and to get His perspective for this chapter in your life. You may be just beginning to learn to hear from the Lord and the DTS will be a great place for you to develop your ability to hear and know God's direction in your life.
Doing a DTS will change your life. You can count on it. You will take 6 months to focus on knowing God, working through the issues of your life, getting trained to effectively communicate your faith to others, building deep and meaningful friendships, and reaching out to some very needy people.
We are very relational and community focused. We want to make a connection!
Frequently Asked Questions
What does a DTS involve?
This full-time, intensive training course begins with a 3 - 4 month live-in classroom/lecture phase followed by a 2 month outreach abroad.
Why do a DTS?
YWAM Boston's vision is: To see a diverse transformed community of passionate followers of Jesus dispersed throughout all walks of life, igniting a Holy Culture, living out and proclaiming His Kingdom on earth. This is the essence of Christianity.
What is the age range for a DTS?
Generally the range is from 18 to 28, but we have been known to have much older students on occasion and are not opposed to it. We are looking for those who are young at heart. We are YOUTH With A Mission.
What is the deadline to apply?
Our DTS schools have limited space and so applications should be sent as early as possible. When the schools are filled, there will be a waiting list. Applications sent afterward will not necessarily be disqualified.
Come for a visit. The welcome mat is out! Join us for a day or two, and get a feel for what makes us tick as a ministry and as friends. A visit can answer a lot of questions and help you to connect with us.
We are already praying that the Lord will bring together the students He has called and that there will be a right fit for them here.
Not everyone completing a DTS necessarily joins YWAM. Many participate in a DTS to take time out to concentrate on God and consider whether He might be calling them to Christian ministry. And for others, DTS is simply a tool in deepening an existing walk with Jesus. For those who choose to go on into a career with YWAM, successful completion of the DTS qualifies them to apply for hundreds of staff opportunities. Graduating from the DTS also qualifies students to go on to YWAM's other training programs, such as those offered by YWAM's University of the Nations.